Dr. Jennifer McCauley is a Doctor of Physical Therapy, OSC, NCPT, and owner of Inspire Physical Therapy and Wellness, specializing in Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy. Dr. McCauley joins Dr. Jeffrey Gladden on today’s show to introduce the topic of pelvic floor health, pelvic floor therapy, and some vital information for both men and women on the subject.
Listen to this episode to learn about making a hundred the new thirty, living beyond 120, and Living Young for a Lifetime!
-Two thought-provoking quotes from the poet Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (3:09);
– A little bit about Dr. Jennifer McCauley’s background and how she was led to specialize in pelvic floor physical therapy (6:15);
– Various pelvic floor issues that can result from childbirth or any abdominal surgery including, urinary leakage, pelvic organ prolapse, pain with intercourse, constipation, and nerve injuries (8:29);
– The importance of having an awareness of pelvic floor health and how it can prepare women pre- and postpartum, as well as with any abdominal surgery (10:50);
– What occurs during injuries and what is required to get back to normal function, and how Dr. McCauley works to reprogram the neuromuscular system from the standpoint of pain, movement, and function (13:14);
– More about the core, and how the pelvic floor is not separate from the core (16:01);
– Things that sabotage the core, and specifically pelvic floor strength, stabilization, and overall alignment (18:26);
– Different ways to be proactive against pelvic floor issues and how to relax and release the pelvic floor at home (19:44);
– How Dr. McCauley and her team approach treating pain with intercourse from a multi-disciplinary approach (23:19);
– Different specialists people can see to work on pelvic floor issues (25:33);
– Men’s pelvic floor health and various pelvic floor issues they experience (26:21);
– What is new at Dr. McCauley’s practice, including a Class IV laser that deals with scar tissue, and visceral manipulation (28:57);
– How therapy can help people get “un-stuck” and move forward (31:25);
– Different ways Dr. McCauley evaluates her patients, including internal manual exams (32:21);
– Tools patients can use for homework and therapy (34:13);
– How long it generally takes for someone to recover post-surgery (35:52);
– NeuFit Therapy and the potential for use in pelvic floor rehabilitation through the transverse abdominous (37:33);
– Dr. McCauley’s three recommendations that people can do to take care of their pelvic floor (39:10);
– How pregnancy can affect the abdominals, and how physical therapy can help close the separated abdomen (43:15);
To learn more about Dr. McCauley and Inspire Physical Therapy and Wellness:
If you mention this podcast, you will get 10% off a 5-Pack Pelvic Floor Package when you call and schedule with Inspire Physical Therapy and Wellness!
Follow Inspire Physical Therapy and Wellness on: